Garmin Car GPS Navigation System – My Favorite and Why
Our favorite Garmin Car GPS Navigation System is the Garmin nüvi 2597LMT 5-Inch Portable Bluetooth Vehicle GPS with Lifetime Maps and Traffic updates. It is a great gift for anyone who happens to travel a lot. It is an especially good gift for men who don’t like to ask directions. Ray is especially fond of his. He has several reasons for choosing this particular model. There are only a few left with reduced pricing but… There is now an updated model which you can view here.
Convenience of the Garmin Car GPS Navigation System
“I don’t usually brag about any old product that comes along,” says Ray, our Top Gifts team member, “I do, however, have to brag about the convenience of the Garmin GPS navigation system. I have never had more peace of mind ever since I bought mine. I would never again go on the road without my Garmin GPS. I suggest that you get one if you spend any time traveling by yourself or with your family.
Before I bought my GPS unit, I relied on writing down directions I needed from the computer. It worked fairly well but it wasn’t safe to drive and look at the map at the same time. For safety reasons, I frequently had to stop the car and check the map.
Well, now that I have the GPS in my car, all I have to do is simply put in my destination address and leave the rest to the GPS. It talks to me in a gentle tone of voice and gives me exact turn by turn instructions, I can get to my destination quickly and efficiently. It is just like having a live person sitting next to you like a private navigator. I like to share with you some of the details and points of interest about this GPS unit and why I like it.”
Is this GPS device user-friendly?
- This Garmin Nuvi 2597 LMT Bluetooth GPS navigation system is really easy to use. It has a user-friendly 5-inch touch screen. The unit can be removed from its base (attached to your car’s inside windshield). This feature makes it convenient to put in the address of your destinations. This is a lot easier than trying to do that while the unit is mounted on its base. You can also either use the touch screen to input your information or use the GPS’s voice activated system.
Do I have to buy a car charger separately for this device?
- No, since a free car charger is included with the device.
Does it come with a power cord?
- Yes, the unit has a power cord which plugs into your car’s cigarette lighter.
Can I charge this Garmin unit on my computer?
- Yes, you can easily do that with a USB cable.
How do I put in my destination into the device?
- You easily put the name of the city or town, where you are going to, into the unit first and then the street address. It is important that you put in the city’s name first into the unit for it to work properly.
Can I use voice activation to input the desired city or town?
- Yes, you can, which makes it very simple and hassle free.
For what other features can I use voice activation on this Garmin GPS?
- This unit is voice-activated for finding locations, changing the volume, and answering phone calls. You can also end your route with a simple voice command.
Is there a traffic feature subscription required?
- This model of the Garmin GPS navigation systems for cars requires no additional fees or subscriptions for the traffic updates feature.
Does this Garmin utilize recognizable buildings and landmarks?
- Yes, it uses its real directions and real voice guide along with a bird’s eye view to do that.
Does this device offer any clear images of junctions in the route?
- Indeed, this Garmin GPS provides both actual photos and bird’s eye views of the route junctions. This makes it easier for you to become aware of when merging on or getting off a roadway.
Will it display any up ahead services information?
- Definitely! It displays such services as hospitals, stores, restaurants, gas stations with your map, It also updates while you are driving along.
Can I connect my iPhone™ or my Android™ Smartphone to this Garmin GPS device?
- Yes, you can. There is a free app available that enables you to link your iPhone™ or Android™ Smartphone to this Garmin GPS device. After your mobile devices are paired with your Garmin, your Garmin can use your mobile devices’ existing data plan to share information… where you are parked, your destination, and more (which is explained in detail in the manual)
Do I have to pay for map updates on this device?
- No, you don’t have to. There is a free lifetime map update feature that comes with this Garmin GPS system.
Does it come with European maps as well?
- No, it does not have European maps. It is available as a paid download option.
Does this Garmin GPS come with Canadian & Mexican maps?
- Yes, it does. It comes with pre-loaded US, Canadian, and Mexican maps.
Can I get maps for other countries to use on this unit?
- Yes, you can. You can purchase maps for any country you want from Garmin.
How long does the charge in the unit last?
- The unit maintains its power for a week after it is fully charged… if it is not plugged in.
How does the Bluetooth feature work on this device?
- The Bluetooth feature on this device is quite good. It can detect one’s voice when you ask it to dial a number. It also has a good volume in hearing the voice of others as well.
Does this unit’s display screen work well if I am wearing polarized sunglasses?
- Yes, it does. I usually wear such glasses and have no difficulty in seeing a clear view of the display screen.
Does this Garmin device work on off road trails?
- It certainly does. I have not tried it, but one of my friends tells me that he has used it on many off road trails and it works great.
Can I get a larger screen size than 5 inches for this Garmin device?
- This particular model… the Garmin nuvi 2597LMT only comes in a 5-inch display screen size. This is the size that Jay prefers as it is large enough without being in the way. But if you prefer a larger size you can get a seven inch GPS unit with free lifetime maps – traffic here
Do we suggest that you consider this Garmin GPS device?
- Yes, we definitely do. Ray says, “I don’t know how I ever made it without my Garmin GPS system in the past. As far as I am concerned, having it is a must whenever you drive on the road. By the way, even when I am not driving, I can bring the unit inside and use it to find out about my next destination route and how long it will take me to get there.”